Fish are cold-blooded mammals which adjust their body temperatures as per the temperature of the surrounding. Therefore, it is crucial to maintain the right amount of heat in the fish tanks. Not just that, it is also advisable to maintain a constant temperature in the tank as it helps the fish to maintain the right metabolism and lead a healthier life. Different types of fish need slightly different temperatures and that can be fixed with the help of a right aquarium heater. For example, the corals live best in the water ranging from 75-78-degree Fahrenheit while the tropical fish are suited with a temperature range of 78-82 degrees. There are different types of heaters designed specially to meet the requirements of the aquariums.
Types of Aquarium Heaters
- Hanging or immersible heaters- This is best for moderate working and is most common among the beginners. It hangs from the top of the aquarium.
- Submersible Heaters- This heater is submerged in the water and its performance is better than immersible heaters.
- Substrate Heaters- These types of heaters are affixed at the bottom of the aquarium, are less common and much expensive.
Different aquariums have different size, shape, and type of species surviving in it. Selecting the right heater is important to keep the health of the species in check. A typical requirement for the aquarium ranges between 2.5 to 5 watts per gallon of water. Buying a suitable heater depends on the amount of water that needs to be cooled, the temperature of the place, the budget, and so on. Out of all the important parameters that influence the selection of the best heaters is the size factor. The correct heater choice depends so much on the size of the aquarium. If the size is smaller (up to 5 gallons), the power required can be anywhere between 15-25 gallons.
Points to Remember
While installing the aquarium heater it is important to follow a couple of tips.
- While making any fittings or alterations, always keep the heater’s switch off.
- It is essential to make sure that the plug and hands are not wet while plugging it
- Before removing the heater from the water, it is suggested to leave the heater to cool for at least 30 minutes.
Top 5 Aquarium Heaters of All Time
- BJ True Temp Titanium
- Aqueon Pro Submersible 100W Heater
- Tetra Aquarium Heater
- Aquatop Analog Glass Submersible Heater, etc.
The fish need just the right water temperature for its survival. For that, an aquarium heater does fine. If you are in search of some fabulous aquarium heaters and finding it a tough task then here is good news for you. Doing online research simplifies the work at once and for all. There are a couple of websites available which present an extensive review of the top-rated brands and high performing items. Now, it becomes the task of the peon to figure out the best one for you.